Saturday, October 4, 2008

Thank you whoever you are...

Can I tell you how much I love my husband? He tells me all the time how pretty I am, even though I feel like an enormous BEACH BALL. Actually, most days I feel more like a BEACHED WHALE. My sweet, wonderful husband will go so far as to point out other pregnant women and tell me how much better than them I look. What a guy! He's really begining to understand what makes women feel good! He really is sweet and I thank him for making me feel like I'm the most loved woman in the world.

Some days, however, it's hard for me to really feel pretty. I have a friend, who I just love, but whenever I tell her I feel like a beach ball, she agrees with me and then points out how big my ankles look. I know it's my fault for even mentioning it, but...are you kidding me? You don't say stuff like that to an emotionally b#%chy pregnant woman! Show a little compassion! For the most part though, people are usually pretty nice and tell me how good I look. These are usually people I know and deep down in my soul I feel like they're just saying those things to make sure I don't fall apart and start crying. In other words, I don't really believe them.

Well, today I was in the grocery store and went through the self check-out. Hello! Big mistake. I'm not sure what I was thinking. I should've let a trained professional scan my groceries, but I thought I'd save time. HA! Like that ever happens. I need to learn my lesson. Anyhoo...I was having a *&#$ of a time getting the computer to stop telling me I had to wait for the attendant or coming anywhere close to finding the code for garlic. **Note to self: don't use the self check-out if some of your groceries don't have bar codes** The "attendant" had to come and bail me out like 12 times.

When I thought I was about to lose everything from my cool to my maternity bra, the attendant asks me "So, how far along are you?" Oh no - my eyes begin to roll and I brace myself for what's coming! I sigh and tell her I'm about 6 months. I was expecting to hear what I usually hear..."Oh my goodness, I can't believe how big you are!" or "Wow! Now that's a big baby!"...in other words..."Holy crap you remind me of a beached whale!" But for once, in the 20 years I've been pregnant, I hear something like this..."Oh - that's so exciting! Is this your first? You are going to love being a mother. You look absolutely gorgeous!" She then went on to tell me how much fun boys were and that her first child was a boy and she wouldn't have it any other way, but before I walked away she made sure to tell me one more time how beautiful I was.

Stunned, I gathered up myself and my cart and headed toward the door. Slowly, a little smile crept on to my face. I couldn't comprehend what just happened. I actually believed a complete stranger when she told me that I was a beautiful, glowing pregnant woman. This was truly a break-through.

I've tried to have a better attitude about being pregnant, and for the most part...I have. I just haven't quite come to terms with my ever changing and expanding body. But thanks to the lady at Ralph's, I'm begining to really believe that big is beautiful.

Thank you Ralph's lady...you have no idea how much I needed you today.

12 comments:

TheDooleys4 said...

Ah Em, I agree with the Ralphs Lady....You are beautiful!

Shana said...

That's an awesome story Em. I know you don't believe me when I tell you how cute you look. I think pregnant women look so cute. I actually feel cuter when I'm pg, even though you know I get big as well. It is such a miracle and such a blessing. Did you find out if you have diabetes? Hope not. Keep smilin' girl, you are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!.... we're good friends, I'd tell you otherwise! :o)

naomi3 said...

Don't feel bad Em, I gained 60 pounds with Garrett! Thats right 60 pounds! I still haven't lost it! He is 17 years old, and I'm still fat! Even though at times I want to help Garrett pack, it was worth every pound! You only have 3 months left, and then you will be your old self again, unless of course you turn out like me!
love you
Naomi

caribickley said...

Emily - my dear sweet Emily!
Here's what you do whenever you feel like a beached whale. STOP - place your hands on your round belly and feel for movement. If no movement occurs, just remind yourself that you are preparing a sweet spirit to come to the world and that soon you will hold that spirit and long to feel him moving inside you once again. Being pregnant is one of the most beautiful gifts we women have. Cherish the moment - it will soon be over. (I know it sucks at times though) LOVE YOU and p.s. in a very small way I am jealous - I wish that I could feel life inside me just for a moment. It is a MIRACLE!
Cari

Cecily R said...

When I was pregnant with Gracie my mother in law went through a weird phase where she called me Fat Lady. It was good natured and not meant to be mean, but I HATED it. Finally my sister in law heard her say it and laid into her about it. I breathed a sigh of relief. And thanked my SIL profusely out of earshot of my MIL.

Kudos to Ralph Lady. She rocks.

And I'm sure you ARE beautiful.

Melissa said...

What makes me happy is that she probably doesn't even realize that she did a very good thing. Your family and friends can tell you until we're blue in the face that you're beautiful, but when you hear it from someone who doesn't love you, it means SO much more.

...and you ARE NOT (never have been, never will be) a beached whale!

Rebecca said...

Pregnancy is a miracle (nuff said).
You are stunning!

Sheri said...

Emily,
Could you please email me your blog address so I can put you under my friends. Cuz you are my friend! pstannjo@msn.com
Thanks,
Sheri

Stephanie said...

You are so beautiful and I am not just saying that to make you feel good....well, I guess I am, but because it is true!

Em-Cat said...

Oh - I hope you all don't think I'm just fishing for compliments. I guess I just wanted to share my breakthrough with all of you. Thank you all for your kind words. Cari - next time I feel bad about how I look, I'll stop and feel my little baby kick...this pregnancy is truly a miracle.

Kellie said...

Oh Ems... You look fabulous! wait until someone tells you, that you are glowing.. in other words your skin is pulled so tight cause of all the water weight, your bones are showing!
that was a favorite compliment of mine...
LOVE YA GIRL.

The Spring into Summer Challenge said...

Okay, seriously when I had Sam, total strangers would cross streets to ask me if I was having twins or triplets. When I told them I was having just the one baby, many of them looked horrified and backed away very s-l-o-w-l-y. I feel your pain. Don't worry, you'll be so glad you did it! You might even lose your mind and do it again (perhaps even more than once!)