Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Democracy?

My life goes on in endless song
Above earths lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.

Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear its music ringing,
It sounds an echo in my soul
How can I keep from Singing?

While though the tempest loudly roars,
I hear the truth, it liveth.
And though the darkness round me close,
Songs in the night it giveth.

No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that rock I'm clinging.
Since love is lord of heaven and earth
How can I keep from Singing?

When tyrants tremble in their fear
An hear their death knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near
How can I keep from singing?

In prison cell and dungeon vile
Our thoughts to them are winging,
When friends by shame are undefiled
How can I keep from singing?

Traditional Shaker Hymn
Author:
Unknown


I was listening to NPR the other day and Martin Sheen was on "Prairie Home Companion" he sang the above song to show his support to the people of Burma. I was extremely touched and haven't been able to get the song out of my mind since. I pray for the Buddhist Monks who desire freedom for their country and people.

One journalist editorialized on the subject.

"It takes a lot to make a Buddhist monk mad. That's one of the reasons why the image of thousands of them marching through the streets in Burma, protesting their lives under decades of brutal military rule, has sparked such international outrage.


"And maybe that's one of the reasons why the thugs that rule Burma don't want the world to see pictures of their response: The monks' dead bodies floating in the river, rotting in the jungle, and fallen in the public square." (Editorial, San Francisco Chronicle, pg B6)


These atrocities are appalling to us as freedom-loving Americans. But I pose these questions for you to think about. Are we as Americans, who love democracy and fiercely defend it when faced with opposition, really free from governmental restrictions? Do the laws of today truly reflect what our inspired forefathers envisioned? Are our leaders really upholding the inspired Constitution of the United States of America? Does the federal government have too much power, when the constitution gave power to each individual state? By removing God from our schools, public meetings and government, are we leading ourselves down a path to destruction?


These are things I'm constantly thinking about and would love to read your opinion...

13 comments:

Melissa said...

To quote a very dear friend of mine...OK, you..."This is a Nation built under God, all our Gods." You give us all a lot to think about. Now the question is what are we going to DO? Great post!

Em-Cat said...

I heard in a movie...can't remember which...something to the effect - "Tyrants have always feared the ones they've repressed." Let's just hope the people of Burma stay firm in their desire for democracy.

Anonymous said...

What is this? Monk Day? Now you know the world's changing when monks in red robes(I wonder if they wear underwear?) get all activist on you-all. Of course they've got good reason. Way too many dead monks to be sitting this one out singing monk dirges and begging for left over Panda food.

Em-Cat said...

??? Does anyone know what that last post was supposed to mean??? Is he making fun of Buddhist Monks or is he just making fun of me? Critique my writing and make fun of me all you want, but I don't think we should make light of what the people of Burma are going through right now. We should be grateful that we're not being faced with it. Tyranny in any form isn't OK.

Melissa said...

Amen!

...and yay, the Pink's back!

Anonymous said...

Buddhist monks have gone from nonconfrontational to activist due to political repression while most of Burma is sitting doing nothing. My comments were only a weak attempt at lightminded humor. beside you've know me for 21 years... and yes, they do sit around singing dirges and beg for food. they've done it for centuries. Unfortunately, now that they've turned activist and are actually trying to make a difference, they are getting murdered while the rest of the world takes notice. No harm intended :0)

Em-Cat said...

None taken...

naomi3 said...

Hey Em,
You knew that was Ron writing to your blog right? He is such a tease! Your writing is awesome! You go girl. Ron will repent. I will make him.
love you
Naomi

Em-Cat said...

I figured it was him. I guess this was my pale attempt to be serious (which doesn't happen very often) and I didn't get his joke. No harm done though! I'll be a little more understanding next time.
Love ya Naomi!!! (you too Ron!!!)

Anonymous said...

Em,
Great work! Really, you have inspired me. Maybe I'll start blogging myself. It would be great therapy for me while my husband is gone fighting for our freedoms. It's coming too fast. Keep up the blogging.
Rachie

Em-Cat said...

Rach...We're all praying for you and your family! Love ya dear!

Jen Hill said...

We actually have sung this in our church choir; it is a beautiful hymn! Great post.

We are HUGE Garrison Keillor fans. It is our favorite Saturday afternoon tradtion. Well, maybe second or third favorite after "Car Talk" and "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell ME!"

Em-Cat said...

Holy crap...we must be soul sisters because all Saturday I listen to Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk...This is a little erie...