Monday, November 24, 2008

Gratitude

Imagine this scenario: You’re in Relief Society one day and someone passes you a clip board filled with opportunities to provide service. There's a sign-up sheet to bring dinners to sister so-and-so because she just had an emergency appendectomy. Next in the pile you find a sign-up sheet to donate Christmas gifts to a needy family. You come upon yet another sign up sheet to sew quilts for aids orphans in Africa. The list goes on and on and these "opportunities" seem endless. You faithfully sign up to make dinner, donate gifts and sew quilts because you've already felt the blessings that come from serving your fellowmen and you truly believe in the Relief Society motto "Charity Never Faileth."

What about those of us who are the recipients of your dinner, your gifts, your quilts etc? It’s as important to receive as it is to give - right? I’ve attended countless lessons on service, but don’t remember many on the topic of allowing oneself to be a recipient of service. I take that back…the topic is briefly touched upon when we receive these lessons on serving. But, do we honestly take that to heart? Why is it so difficult for us to accept generosity from others when we’re constantly looking for opportunities to give it?

I guess I’m writing this because I’ve come to that point in my life where I’ve had to rely on the kindness and generosity of others. I sometimes feel worried that I request too much from my Relief Society sisters and my ward. “I need meals on these specified days and I can’t eat barbeque sauce, green beans or cherries – Oh! And citrus totally makes me vomit. One more thing! I have gestational diabetes so please make sure you include plenty of protein and veggies and no sugary sweets please…oh and could you give me your right arm and first born child while you’re at it? Thanks….appreciate-cha!” One day REALLY soon I can just see them looking at me like “Are you kidding me?” all the while rolling their eyes as they walk away…*Sigh*

I haven’t even mentioned the sacrifices my family has made on my behalf…a sister who sends me funny gifts to keep a smile on my face, another sister who takes vacation time and buys a plane ticket to spend a few days cleaning my apartment, a wonderful mother who worries and frets over me who also has purchased a plane ticket to come visit and help me out around the house and a father always willing to chit-chat with his little girl while she's laying on her living room couch day in and day out. Not to mentioned the prayers and fasting that have come from my brothers and their families as well as all of the help and concern from my husband's side of the family. I feel so…undeserving.

Then I think of this amazing little baby growing inside of my body. I think of the cliché “It takes a village to raise a child” and I realize that the “village” has already taken part in the welfare of his little body and spirit even though he hasn’t been born yet. When I put this into perspective it doesn’t seem as difficult to accept the kindness and generosity all of you have shown and continue to show me and my family. Because of all of you, I’ve been able to make sure this little guy comes into this world safely and at just the right time.

In the Spanish Bible the phrase “Charity Never Faileth” is written “El Amor Nunca Deja de Ser.” Direct translation: “Love Never Ceases to Be.” To my wonderful friends, family and ward members: Your love will never cease to abide in my heart. Thank you for the kind service you've shown us during this amazing time in our lives.

Love, Em, Robbie and JT

9 comments:

caribickley said...

It is truly a gift that we belong to such an amazing church.

caribickley said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! LOVE YA!

k8theriver said...

i did think about you before we left but i had no idea you lived so close to disneyland. we didn't have a car though.
you're almost there. you can do it.

MCGROVER said...

Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone. ~G.B. Stern

You are very useful BY obeying the commandment to show gratitude.

D&C 46:7 But ye are commanded in all things to ask of God, who giveth liberally; and that which the Spirit testifies unto you even so I would that ye should do in all holiness of heart, walking uprightly before me, considering the end of your salvation, doing all things with prayer and thanksgiving, that ye may not be seduced by evil spirits, or doctrines of devils, or the commandments of men; for some are of men, and others of devils.

WAY TO GO EMILY! You are a sweet daughter of God!

Stephanie said...

You are amazing and totally deserving even if you don't feel it!!!! I LOVE YOU!

Stephanie said...

OH, btw, I LOVE "JT" what a cute nickname!!!

Shana said...

Very Cool! I had a HT lesson when I was younger from my friend's father and he talked about needing to accept service to bless those who are doing the service. I've never forgotten that..... yet it is hard to humble yourself and accept it. You are on the right track though... you are doing service for your little boy and those helping are contributing to the health and growth of that little special spirit. We are all so blessed!! Call me. I haven't talked to you in a while! Love ya!!!!!!!

naomi3 said...

I totally understand. I went through this all 3 times with my kids! It is so hard, but when you stop and think how you feel when you serve. People love to serve. It warms you all over.
Also my father in law said, enjoy it now because when that little guy arrives, it's all over! No more resting!
You're almost there! ENJOY!
love you
Naomi

TheDooleys4 said...

tEm,
Thanks for all your good advice. It's such a sensitive topic and I really felt I needed to pray and have the discussion prepared before I sat down and we talked about it. It's so hard for me to face the fact that while most 7 year olds are worrying about what's for lunch, mine is worrying about war...I saw the Plain City Seamons' at an awards assembly today. I went up and introduced myself to them.....Your sis' in law is adorable. She said your momma is flying out to be with you! Yay!!!!!Sounds like you are doing a little better health wise too. I'm so glad. Your on the down hill now. Love you.