Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Meaningful Mixed Tape


I have a preposition for all of you...about, above, beyond, for, from, in...actually that was a bunch of prepositions. What I mean to say is - I have a proposition for you. Anyone who knows me, knows I LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEE mixed tapes (aka mixed CD's, iPod Playlists etc.). I like using the phrase "Mixed Tape" because I'm a product of the 80's - don't judge. If you were one of the recipients of my "Making Out I" or "Making Out II" CD's, you know I have a knack for putting good music together. I even did a compilation CD in place of a Christmas card last year.

OK - so here's my proposition. I want everyone who reads this blog to tell me what your all time favorite rock, jazz, indie or pop song is - and we'll have the BEST mixed tape of all time. Don't be shy...if you've never commented on this blog before, it's not rocket science and it's easy to figure out. (Daddy - your taste in music is so fantastic that if I don't get a great Jazz piece I'm going to lose faith in all humanity.) I'm going to exclude classical since we're going for a different type of genre.

Once I have plenty of comments, I start mixing. Give me the name of the artist, the song title and the album. If you want a copy of the CD, e-mail me your address at emcatg@gmail.com. If you feel left out and want a copy of Making out I and II, let me know and I'll send those as well. I'm so excited! Get those juices flowing and start thinking of your all time favorite song!

28 comments:

TheDooleys4 said...

O.K. This is going to take some time to pick a favorite....I have it narrowed down to about twenty...I'll get back to you.
Rach

Em-Cat said...

HAHAHA! I know - right? I knew this would be a tough challenge, but if you want to narrow it down to like 5 I could choose for you.

Em-Cat said...

...I changed my mind...I won't choose for you - this is a challenge you need to get through by yourself. ;-)

Melissa said...

Anything from the Juno soundtrack (my current music obsession). The Sonic Youth version of Superstar is pretty great. Anyone Else But You (either version) is my favorite.

k8theriver said...

hard. i'll think a bit.

Em-Cat said...

Melissa...I'm sorry - but your post doesn't count. You have to give me one song...not an entire genre.

Anonymous said...

My pick is Tangerine Speedo by Caviar. It will add some levity to the mix. - Lean

TheDooleys4 said...

Ok Em. I have been mulling over this for a week and I cannot narrow it down. So I am opting for a little humor, this is a Junior High memory of me and you..."Otto Titsling" from the beaches soundtrack. You don't have to add my kids favorites but here they are just for fun...B.J."Black Dog" by Led Zepplin.(what can I say, he's a 6 year old drummer) Shannon "The best of both worlds" Hannah Montana. (The typical 5 year old girl answer these days)
Thanks for the challenge Em, you had me bustin' my brain.
Rach

Em-Cat said...

Thanks Rach! I'm definitely adding the kid's favorites. I love that BJ is into Led Zepplin...

catherine said...

i would like to submit the one hit wonder song i would walk 500 miles (maybe its a different name but that song) by the proclaimers. it has a nice beat to it...just thinking of the Make-out III album.
This was a hard one...I had to make out with greg many times to figure out which song was the best to submit.

Anonymous said...

Still working on this one....don't count me out (just yet)

Cecily R said...

I'm thinking...

Cecily R said...

Okay, how about The Joker by Steve Miller Band?

Cecily R said...

Or Triangle Man by They Might Be Giants?

Cecily R said...

OOOO! Find the Cost of Freedom by Crosby Stills and Nash (the harmonies in that one give me goose bumps).

Cecily R said...

And finally, Superstar by the Carpenters. Because I am a GEEK.

Cecily R said...

And yea, I know my taste is weird. I could give you more, but I want you to still be my friend...

Em-Cat said...

Ummm...Cec...does that mean I need to add all of those songs?!?! OK - so I'm going to ask you to do something hard...If I didn't have enough room for all those songs on the CD, could you be able to narrow it down to one?

Melissa said...

Narrow it to Superstar...okay, throw my previous post out completely and just us Superstar as my submission! ...the original version.

Anonymous said...

Chuck wants The Bohemian Rapsody by Queen. My all time favorite song is written by Chuck (His NEW version) called Who said love is blind. Call him for the recording. It is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Em. Sue and Chuck

Em-Cat said...

I'm getting more and more excited about the "Mixed Tape"! If you haven't already posted...please do - this is going to be awesome!

Anonymous said...

Where's U2 on this list? Why hasn't someone said "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own?"

Em-Cat said...

HELLO - Tell me about it...I can't believe it either. Great suggestion (I was actually going to lace the mix with U2 if I didn't get any submissions)...BTW...who are you? I'm only asking so I can send you a copy of the mix.

Cecily R said...

Since Melissa took care of Superstar, I erase my previous suggestions and change mine to Somebody by Depeche Mode. There.

Anonymous said...

Come on! Don't tell me you don't know who I am! Really?

Em-Cat said...

Melissa...you can't have two submissions...

Melissa said...

Too bad U2 has never covered Superstar. :-(

Kristin said...

My current favorite is by Muse, the song is Starlight, it's on the Black Holes and Revelations CD, and it is AMAZING! I'm interested to see what you might put with that . . . BTW, I'm a friend of Matt and Johnny's. :)