Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mommy



Tonight as I lay on my couch, cuddling close to my beloved Robbie, I uttered something that resonated deep in my soul..."I was born to be a mother." To which Robbie replied..."and to sing." There are so many uncertainties in my life right now - so many things I don't know. I don't know why J cries at certain times. I don't know what the future will hold. I worry about being a good mother, a good example, a good teacher but this I know:

I was born to be a mother.

I was born to sing.


At this point in my life, those two things go hand in hand. Each night as I rock my precious little baby to sleep - I sing. This poor kid won't know the standards like "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" or "Itsy, Bitsy Spider," but he'll certainly know "Don't Rain on My Parade," "Golden Slumbers" and "Come Rain or Come Shine." He's become my captive audience. Gone are the days of wishing and dreaming that I would someday make it big on Broadway. I prefer singing at the top of my lungs to a beautiful baby boy who looks into his mommy's eyes and sees the world.

As I reflect on the journey that has brought me to this point, I think about my beautiful friends and sisters who have yet to find that special one and have yet to be able to have the family they've been dreaming of their entire lives. To you I say that you were all born to be mothers. You were all born to sing.

I believe that we as women were all born with the characteristics of motherhood. We are special and beloved and blessed by God. He loves us and gives us the opportunities we so desired before we came to this earth. I know that if we look to Him and live our lives to our fullest potential, ours will be a joyful journey no matter the heartache - the pain, no matter the happiness -the laughter.

This Mother's Day I'd like to say to all women: May your day be full of joy and rejoicing no matter what your social status may or may not be, no matter how many children you may or may not have.


I love you friends. Have a special day.


5 comments:

TheDooleys4 said...

I was born to do those same two things. Maybe that's why we get along so well! Love you Em and happy mommies day.

k8theriver said...

such a good family picture.
i was NOT born to sing but my singing soothes my babies anyway.

naomi3 said...

This singing that you are doing with J, is so fun. I got a ring tone (I know this is weird), but it is Take me Out to the Ball Game, and Paige said Mom I remember you singing that to us! She remembered how we learned that song together. I sang it to each of the kids. J will remember the songs you sing to him!

Chela said...

And a Wonderful Mother you are. She is one lucky little boy. I can't wait until his personality shines through. He is going to be a fun little guy.

Chela said...

Ok so I really did mean to type He not She. I just got back from the dentist and I can't hardly think strait. Or you can just say I'm crazy...that works too.